Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Public Opinion Strategies Looks At The "Bump" From OBL Death


I wanted to take a moment this morning to pass along this very interesting chart that my friends over at @POStqia have put together.  It is a fascinating look at how long the “bump” from Sunday’s historic event may last, as compared to other Historic events.

While pundits on CNN, MSNBC, and others want you to believe the election is over and Obama has secured his second four years, I could not disagree more.  I would have never advocated making this upcoming election about national security to start with, while it is clearly a Conservative issue, it is not at the top and when people walk into the voting booth in November of 2012, unless the economy has changed it will be the pocket book that is voting.

Families, are sleeping better these past few nights, but their sleep is not as good as it should be, because they still don’t know how to pay the next payment on the house, or how they will pay for summer camp, heck families aren’t sure if they will be driving two cars next week because of gas prices.  So while Sunday was an amazing milestone, and as a nation we should be proud.  To go and say Obama has locked it up, would be going just a tad bit to far. 

Since the news broke Sunday evening, I know I have been saying and Glen Bolger points out,
“I’m certainly not about to predict the length or size of the bump that Obama receives. But, it is unlikely to run though next year unless the economy improves dramatically as well.”    
Only time will tell, but if your thinking about running for office and your a Conservative, you should not take the events of Sunday as a reason to throw in the towel and go home just yet, November is still over 500 days away, and the last time I filled up my car it cost me well over $60.00!